How to Develop a Personal Development Program
When designing a personal development program, you must increase self-awareness, determine the things that are most important to you and commit to a plan of action that will transform your life. A commitment to personal development requires a willingness to reflect on your strengths and weaknesses, and the clarity to choose the right activities and steps for advancing personal growth. Here are some strategies for developing a personal development program.
Identify your life goals.Picture yourself as an elderly person who is looking back on a life lived to the fullest. Reflect on the various aspects of a rich and fulfilling life. A loving family life, admirable career achievements, and significant contributions to community developments or societal advancement are just a few examples.
- Categorize your life goals. You may have separate categories for academics, career, family, community, health, recreation and more.
- Write down your life goals under each category. Your goals may include contributing to the advancement of science, running a marathon or becoming a wealthy person. Create a detailed list of all life goals.
Determine which personal strengths will aid you in your pursuits.
- Consider the relevance of your strengths for your life goals. For example, your highly developed interpersonal skills will advance your goals as a salesperson. Your technical skills might enable you to create a product for solving a particular societal problem.
- Connect each personal strength with a specific development activity. For example, you may be naturally talented in playing a musical instrument. You might continue to develop that strength by taking classes or performing in a band.
Reflect on your weaknesses.Determine which personal qualities can be strengthened to advance your life goals. For a socially reserved person whose goal is to get married and have children, excessive shyness may be a personal obstacle in attracting and getting to know potential life partners.
- Create a plan for strengthening your weaknesses. For a shy person, being open to attracting a life partner may mean consciously engaging in social activities that push the boundaries of the comfort zone. If physical fitness is the goal and lack of discipline is a weakness, hiring a personal trainer and committing to a daily exercise regimen with a motivated friend might be solutions.
Assign a time frame for goal achievement.You might allow yourself 6 weeks to lose 10 pounds or 6 years to complete an undergraduate degree while attending part-time.
- Decide on a reasonable time frame for regular check-ins. For example, you might give yourself 6 months to improve your public speaking skills by attending weekly workshops. Establish a periodic check-in halfway or one-third into the completion of your goal to determine if you are asserting yourself enough or need to adjust your time line.
Consult with a personal development coach.Work with an experienced life coach to gain greater clarity about your personal characteristics and to brainstorm ideas for actionable steps to achieve your life goals.
QuestionWhat is self development?Top AnswererCompare it to the basic model of a car, to which you add the options of your choosing. Windshield heating, built-in GPS, etc. But then applied to yourself. You are born with a body and a mind; once you're done physically growing up and you have control of all your faculties, you can choose to add anything to your skillset. Understand how ants use pheromones, learn to play the violin, or practicing kindness to others, are all examples of areas for personal development.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I commit to personal development?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMake sure you know what you're getting yourself into -- "count the cost" -- and then go for it. Get accountability partners to help you stick to a certain plan.Thanks!
Video: Personality Development Training: How to Develop Your Personality | VED [in Hindi]
The Best Behind-the-Scenes Instagrams From the Victorias Secret Fashion Show
Grilled Chicken Skewers with Peanut Sauce
How to Cool Down the Water in a Fish Tank
How to Make NoBake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
How I Overcame My Acne and the Products That Helped Me DoSo
Cuisinart Power Advantage 5-Speed Hand Mixer HM-50 Color: Black
The Only 3 Pairs of Jeans You Need in Your Closet
Esta es la única mascarilla que tiene lista de espera
The isolation and loneliness of chronic pain
I was struggling to breathe’: Lorraine Kelly praises airline staff after taking bad turn’ mid-flight
How to Choose an over the Counter Retinol Product
The Sultriest Victoria’s Secret Runway Moments Ever
How to Make Zoodle Salad
Paleo Salad Dressing: 9 Recipes That Make the Best Paleo Salads